Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blog 7

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

In Randy Pausch's Last Lecture he talks about methods he used as a teacher. He talks about the goals he had growing up and lesson he learned at the beginning of the lecture. He was so "alive" to be in the situation he was in and the way he had such a positive outlook on life and an awesome thing. He knew he didn't have much time left and he took life as it came to him. If I were in his situation, there is no way I could have stood up there and been as positive as he was.

One point Randy Pausch made was about coming up on brick walls. He said that brick walls are there to let us prove how much we want something. He has come to a lot of brick walls in his left, but he didn't let them get in the way. He climbed them and still embraced life. He said "anything is possible" after seeing the man on the moon and then he realized that he could do anything. When he was talking about his childhood football coach he mentioned how the coach stuck with pushing him and that if he hadn’t continued to push him then that would have meant he had given up on him.

I believe teachers need to push students to succeed in everything they do. If one of my students wants to be president one day, I should encourage them and help them in any way possible and never try to change their mind. A lot of teacher may tell their students that their goals and dreams are bad ideas and they may need a new idea and students will become discouraged. Some teachers just lose hope and give up.

I really enjoyed watching this video and this is by far my favorite video. It has really opened my eyes to believing that anything is possible and it came from a man who was dying. This video made me tear up at the thought that anything can happen when you don't even realize it. His story really touches me and if it doesn't open others eyes and touch them, they're crazy. It is sad that this (cancer) had to happen to such an inspirational man.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caryn! I also thought he was very "alive" and had such a positive outlook on life. I think it was great! I also don't know if I was in his situation how I would have the strength to be so strong and positive. He was an inspiration! I also believe teachers need to push their students to succeed. It is important to encourage that anything is possible. Teachers should not lose hope and give up. I also enojyed this video very much and it also ranks high with me :) Nice to "meet" you Caryn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caryn! I agree with what you thought about Randy P.'s speech. He is probably the most positive person I've ever heard! Isn't it funny how most people that are hugely successful have a story? It seems like the only way to one day be super successful is to have come from a bad childhood; Oprah is an example. Not only it is positive that we push ourselves to succeed, but it's also good to push others, like our students, to do the same. Good luck in the rest of the course :)

    Leah

    ReplyDelete