Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog 4

1. Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?

Scott McLeod's current teaching role is as an Associate Professor of Educational Administration at Iowa State University and the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE). He is also the creator of Did You Know? Shifthappens videos. My comment to Mr. McLeod's post was as follows: "Dr. McLeod, I am reading your post as an assignment for Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at USA. You're post was interesting, although, I don't fully agree with the whole thing. I had a cell phone at a young age, but that was only because my mom didn't like to give up hers when we went places and I didn't stay around her or when I stayed at a friends house, she didn't want to call their house phone, so she just got me my own phone. I agree with the social networking thing though. I get friends requests on Facebook from kids who are 8 and 9 years old! That is way too young. For a while you had to have an .edu email address to have a Facebook, now anyone of any age can have one. Nice and fun post! You can check out my blog: www.hyattcarynedm310.blogspot.com".

2. The iSchool Initiative

The idea of the iSchool is rather exciting and the video was quite entertaining! My sister-in-law is in nursing school, here at South, and they have required her to have an iPod touch for some of the work she will have to do. I doubt her iPod replaces her books, but they said they will use it in the hospitals. I think iSchool would be a great way to prepare students for college and life after college! It puts the world at a students fingertips.

As a student, having to buy school book or a graphing calculator, it would have been awesome to have saved on the books and calculator and just downloaded the application on to my iPod. iSchool seems so full life! Maybe, when I become a teacher, iSchool will be around and I will be able to enjoy the upgrade and technology with my students.

3. The Lost Generation

When the first part of the video was over, I was in shock. There was some truth to what was said, it was scary! Divorce is so powerful these day, it's unreal. We are so quick to assume that people are divorced or that child come from divorced parents. People who are divorced shouldn't celebrate it. It seems that our world is coming to nothing and it is hurtful! I'm so glad she was able to reverse everything she said and make it to fit her. It is wonderful, that she know the importance of her job, but more importantly, her family. Family should always come first in anyones life!

4. The Virtual Choir

What a cool video! I never realized how the internet could link us all together and this was a great way to show it. Who would have known that something like this could be done through so many people over the internet? I don't know that I would ever want the world to come down to just communication through the internet but it could happen.

2 comments:

  1. I also didn't completely agree with Mr. McCleod on some of the things he said. I think that their needs to be some kind of supervision when kids start learning to use the internet. You get friend requests from kids that are eight and nine years old? That is way to young. I thought the iSchool was great to, but we also have to consider the iSchool having technical problems and things like that. I would be scared to have an iSchool and drop it. The Lost Generation was very powerful. I thought The Virtual Choir was cool as well. I would have never thought something like that even existed. Just goes to show how much there is to learn about technology and how fast it is changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Caryn!

    I liked what you said about the ischool video. It is actually a very practical idea. To me it just demonstrates a natural progression to the next step in education. I don't see it happening just like this because before you know it the ipod will be outdated by a superior device. But, that device will build from the ipod to further enhance the learning experience.

    Your blog looks good. SS

    ReplyDelete