Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blog 3

1. A Vision of Students Today

The video proves a major point. There really aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything we need to do. I don’t take my laptop to class because I know I will be tempted to get on Facebook or try to finish up another teacher’s homework before time for that class.

There is nothing I can do about to problems we are facing in the world, but I do live here and I do have to encounter everything that goes on. Although, it is a very scary world we live in. If only, those desks and walls could talk, they would probably have so much to say. They see it all. Everything people do, in classrooms and in hallways.

2. It's not about the Technology

I agree with Ms. Hines in so many of her points! I have seen some of these thousands of dollar machine and technologies not being used at all. But if they are not helping the student learn, then they are pointless to even turn on. She is right by saying that “learning is the product of a successful day.” We have to be willing to go over something time and time again to make sure every student understands.

I have learned so much from Dr. Strange that I never knew existed. I enjoy all the new tools I have had to download and all the sites I have had to join. Ms. Hines also pointed out that teachers must be learners too. They have to learn from all aspects of life; their students, co-workers, and friends.

3. Is It Okay To Be A Technology Illiterate Teacher?

What exactly is technology illiterate? If I don’t know how to use a Smart Board, does that make me technology illiterate? That’s about all I can do right now, although, I am learning how to use the latest pieces of technology. It is important for us to know how to use the latest technology. If we don’t, our students will learn somewhere else and one day be teaching us how to use some things.

I think everyone needs to know how to use at least the basics of technology. I mean, that is what the world is coming to. I’m not sure how I feel about the world coming to only technology but it is coming and we need to learn as much as possible before it all comes down to it.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to comment on "It's Not About the Technology" and to reflect on it here on your blog. I appreciate your thoughts!
    - Kelly Hines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caryn, I agree with your comments on being an illiterate teacher. You made a good point by saying that teachers must learn the latest technology or our students will one day be teaching us how to use it. Most young people hate teaching their parents, or worse grandparents, how to be technology literate. My grandmother is part of the microscopic percentage of Americans who still does not own a cell phone. On the other hand my uncle, late 30's, is a computer software writter for Degusa. It amazes me how the difference in only one generation can become a completely different level of technology comprehension. Becoming technology literate is not really a choice at this point in time if you are a still part of the workforce, and I like how you respect that. Even if you aren't thrilled about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary's media counter?

    Dr. Wesch's video is NOT about helping us understand there are not enough hours in the day. Instead the video raises important questions about a) the way students react to the current classroom model and how technology serves as a diversion from "boring" lectures and b) how colleges and instructors have lost touch with how best to organize and deliver instruction.

    As members of the educational profession our primary goal is to make sure that our students are lifelong learners. We must serve as models and be learners ourselves.

    Hopefully, when you leave EDM310, you will be well on your way to being technologically literate. But 5 years from now? Only if you continue to learn! And we must depend on being part of a learning where teachers and students are constantly learning from each other.

    Just the "basics of technology"? Not enough!

    ReplyDelete